So, I missed the National Nutella Day this year (for shame), February 5th. So, in an effort to make it up to everyone, I did make a Nutella recipe, in the spirit of participation.
I have had this one one on my mind for a while. Now, I'm not super crazy about banana flavored things, but I do have exceptions for things like banana Nutella crepes, banana bread/cake, and fresh banana sliced over bran flakes. But, if I had to choose, anything smothered in Nutella would "take the cake," so to speak. I had originally thought that a Nutella/ganache topping would have been a nice elaboration on the theme, but honestly, the cream I recalled having in my fridge when I went to the store for other groceries was apparently a week past deadline. In the end though, I think topping these with straight Nutella was the way to go anyway. The caramelized banana on top is also deglazed with a dab of Frangelico, to keep the theme across the board.
Banana Cupcake with chopped Hazelnuts
Adapted from Eat My Cupcake
Makes approximately 12
- 1/2 cup ripe mashed bananas (1 banana)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, roasted hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix nuts into flour mixture and then set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg until incorporated, then stir in vanilla.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
- Pour batter into prepared tin in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist. (I missed this step this time (my freezer is PACKED), but I felt as though it worked in previous attempts).
Once cupcakes are cool, smother a generous dollop of Nutella on top of each. Next, make caramelized bananas (these instructions are pretty rough - your own judgement will be required for measurements):
Slice 1 banana into 12 thick slices. In a small frying pan, melt a tablespoon or so of butter. Fry banana slices for 1-2 minutes each side, then sprinkle with a tablespoon or so of brown sugar. Swish it around a bit and let the banana brown a bit, then drizzle a tablespoon or so of Frangelico over them. Flip them until nicely browned on both sides and swimming in syrup. Place one banana slice carefully on top of each cupcake. Be careful when transplanting, as the bananas will fall apart after being cooked.
Happy belated Nutella day!